Sunday, April 22, 2012

Still crabby but not flabby

It's a lazy ass day. I'm drinking lots of rum and watching hockey. Best Sunday ever. I don't even have to cook because I got a pot roast in the crock pot, right? Wrong! Half way through an amazing Flyers game, the hubby wants a snack. He doesn't want cheezits or pretzels he wants a hot snack, a snack that requires this rummy gal to get off her drunken ass and concoct something good. Well to be honest we have been eating a lot of crap. I emptied the last morsel from the bucket of Johnson's caramel corn. We have been nibbling on many tasty leftovers of pork and cheese and other things whose main ingredient oozes something good and greasy. It was my birthday last week and dammit I have not felt like cooking anything good. We have been spending much time on our new garden and the Amato Brothers Deli down the street have been providing our meals lately because I'm too damn busy. So now that I finally went food shopping, I guess I should get in the kitchen during intermission.

I love crab rangoon but it is full of cream cheese which is bad bad bad!!!! And wontons are fried and that will prevent you from fitting in your summer capris!!! Sooooo, here is my favorite snack that is a low fat version of the Chinese take-out top ten.

Not so crabby rangoon:

8 oz. fat free cream cheese.

 Ok let's talk. I know you want to. I know you absolutely hate the taste of fat free cream cheese. I do too. It's ok. Buy reduced or Neufchatel if you must. When you mix a bunch of good stuff with bad tasting stuff you can't taste the bad stuff. Trust me!!! It's so worth it and you won't know the difference!!!

wonton wrappers
 few dashes of reduced sodium soy sauce
pam spray
chopped green onions
2 wedges laughing cow low fat swiss or french onion cheese
half pouch of imitation crab meat
salt, pepper, garlic powder

Preheat oven to 350. Mix all ingredients except pam and wrappers
Use an emulsion blender to mix it all up til it's creamy.
Spray cookie sheet and lay out wontons
place a nice dollop of cheese mixture to wonton
Take the opposite corners of wonton and pull up to meet each other. Have then say "Howdy!" and repeat with the other corners and tuck em in a bit. It will look like a little neat package or purse if you did it right.
Spray with Pam again and bake for 15 minutes.
Want an extra little bang to your wonton?
My mother gave me this exquisite spicy chipotle orange sauce and I mixed in a little honey and a teeny dash of low sodium Teriyaki. I pulled the wontons out after 10 minutes and brushed on the sauce. Bake for another 5 minutes.
Serve with honey dijon, sweet and sour, or duck sauce.

You'll never order these from take-out again!!!

What to drink on a rainy day??? HURRICANES!!!!


1 comment: