Friday, January 6, 2012

On the road again and I got the munchies

My husband and I like to travel a lot on the weekends. We spend at least one whole weekend day on the road. Our fun filled on and off road adventures usually include visiting family, friends, checking out wineries, site seeing, and Geocaching. I usually pack a cooler of fruit, sandwiches, granola bars, and cheese and crackers, but sometimes I really get a craving for something sweet. I eat all that other stuff during lunch at work. I want a snack that is going to fill me up and satisfy my sweet tooth. I often make my own trail mix but this weekend I decided that we needed a special treat. Here's what I came up with:

Rummy's On the Road Munchie Bars

2 sticks of butter
3 cups of quick oats
1/2 cup of brown sugar
splishy splash of vanilla
3/4 cup peanut butter
1 1/2 cups of semi sweet chocolate chips
 dashy dash o cinnamon
1/4 cup coconut flakes

In a large sauce pan melt butter and add vanilla, brown sugar and oats and cook for 2 minutes on medium to low heat. Add cinnamon.
Place 1/2 the mixture into a greased up 11 x 7 pan and press down til firm. Lay on that coconut.
Put the remaining half of the oatmeal mixture in a bowl and set aside. Don't eat it!
Wash  and dry out the same sauce pan because we hate doin dishes!
Put it back on the stove and on low heat melt the PB and chocolate chips. Make sure you stick a clean finger in it and have a tiny taste because it's "awesome sauce".
When it has melted, immediately pour that on top of the coconut evenly. Lick the remaining contents out of the sauce pan, wash your filthy hands, then sprinkle the leftover oatmeal mixture on top evenly.
Cover with foil and place in the fridge over night and tell your husband not to touch it! Cut into bars the next day and take em with you on your next journey!














No comments:

Post a Comment