Saturday, December 31, 2011

Ribbing in the new year

     Eating pork on New Years is an international tradition. Pork is rich and fat which symbolizes wealth and happiness. You know the old saying "happy as a pig in ...". Many countries around the world consume pork on New years or New Years eve for this reason. Austria celebrates by decorating the dinner table with marzipan pigs. It is common in Cuba, Spain, and Portugal to feast on roast suckling pig. Pig feet, roast pork, and pork sausages are eaten during New Years for good luck and prosperity.
     My mother always had a crock pot of pork and sauerkraut on New Year's Day. The smell coming from that kitchen would cure any hangover. Tonight I purchased 2 full racks of pork ribs. My husband is slow cooking after adding his famous rib rub.

Rob's Rib Rub: 1/2 cup dark brown sugar, 1tsp. paprika, 2 tsp. garlic powder, 1tsp. fresh ground black pepper, and 2 Tbs. of meat tenderizer. Rub on the rack and cover for 2 hours. Wrap tightly in foil and place in a 200 degree oven for 5 hours. Rule for the wife: DON'T TOUCH 'EM! Remove and slather on the sauce and place back in oven on 300 for 15 minutes. Everyone has different opinions when it comes to sauce. Some like it vinegary, some prefer it with more of a tomato base. I know you are all thinking we make ours from scratch or use some rare gourmet shit. Sorry to spoil the fun but we use Kraft honey and mix it up with a little Chipotle Tabasco sauce. Yes, I said Kraft. We also drizzled orange blossom honey over one rack and slathered that bad boy up with some Sweet Baby Rays Hickory. Any sauce to your liking will do. It really is all about how you cook it.

     I am making some homemade garlic smashed potatoes, grilling up some asparagus, and serving it with some yummy cheese bread I bought from Wegman's bakery to sop up all that savory sauce with. Going to pair this fantastic meal with Sparkling Apple Wine from Heritage Winery, one of our favorite local vineyards for a down home, happy, lucky, and delicious way to say goodbye to one of the best years I have had in my lifetime. Hello 2012. I have got a belly full of pork and I am ready for ya!

Happy New Years to all my followers and friends!



1 comment:

  1. PORK! It's what's for New Years!

    Thank you for posting Rob's Rib Rub ~ I am sooooo hungry now.

    ReplyDelete