Monday, March 12, 2012

This is good for me?

     This question, often asked by my husband when he is eating his dinner, always puts a smile on my face. If I can make my husband go back for seconds on a low fat meal, then you know this shit tastes good. For years, people always thought healthy food equals no taste. Not true! My husband loves chicken tetrazini. I came up with a low fat version that will knock even the most finicky eater's sock off.

First of all, what the hell is tetrazini?

I Googled it for ya!

Tetrazini is an American dish usually involving a non-red meat (often diced fowl or seafood), mushrooms, and almonds in a butter/cream and parmesan sauce flavored with wine or sherry and stock vegetables such as onions, celery, and carrots. It is often served hot over spaghetti or some similarly thin pasta, garnished with lemon or parsley, and topped with additional almonds and/or Parmesan cheese.
The dish is named after the Italian opera star, Luisa Tetrazzini.[1] It is widely believed to have been invented ca. 1908–1910 by Ernest Arbogast, then chef at the Palace Hotel in San Francisco, California, where Tetrazzini was a long-time resident.

Most of the recipes I have researched contain flour, butter, cream, and cheese givin this bad boy 15 to 16 grams of fat per serving. My version is at least half of that maybe more. Taking out the cream and butter, using whole wheat flour, and adding in less starchy veggies makes this a lean but hearty meal. Here's what I did:


Bikini Tetrazini:
Very thin sliced turkey cutlets cut into bite size pieces
3 Tablespoons olive oil
1 head broccoli
1 package shitake mushrooms
1 red or orange bell pepper
1 red onion
1/2 box spaghetti
low sodium parmesan cheese
1/2 cup plain fat free Greek Yogurt
1/4 cup whole wheat flour
salt pepper garlic powder
1/4 cup white wine or sherry (I was sippin some Cupcake Chardonnay so I poured some of that in)

Heat 1/2 the oil in a big ass skillet, stir
add the veggies and cook on medium high for 10 minutes, season, stir
dredge the turkey cutlets in flour and add to skillet, stir, stir, stir
add more oil if needed
add a dash of wine, stir
season, turn heat down a bit, stir, I know your wrist hurts but you don't want to burn it!
cook noodles to your preference and drain and put in a big pot
cook turkey mix till all is well cooked and veggies are tender 
Add seasoning
Last minute, add yogurt and cheese, stir, taste, season
pour over pasta and gently fold it in

Save some for lunch tomorrow, it tastes even better the next day!








     People ask me how I learned how to cook. I don't know. I was often around food and always in the kitchen. I was always helping whoever was cooking and learned a lot along the way from family, friends, and from saying "oooh, I can make that"! One thing I do know still reigns true: Life is too short so go ahead and lick the bowl!!!











No comments:

Post a Comment