Sunday, December 18, 2011

Holiday Cookie Exchange

Last week my place of employment had a cookie exchange. Since I am new, I thought it would be a great way to make some new friends and show off my talents. I decided to try a new recipe which is a little risky for a cookie exchange but I did have my mother-in-law and husband test them out for me. I decided to make pumpkin chip cookies. I wanted to do something different since I figured everyone was doing the old standards. They were pretty tasty. They were very cake-like which, I assume is because the pumpkin makes them fluffier. I had a few issues with cooking time. The recipe says 10 to 12 minutes but it took my cookies almost 14 minutes to bake. I took them out at 12 and they were still quite doughy and gooey. I had rave reviews but I think if I make them again I will add more pumpkin spice to them. I enjoyed everyone's treats at the exchange especially the thumbprint cookies with the strawberry lavender preserves!
     I don't know why people make those spritz cookies with the shooter. They really lack flavor. My all time favorite holiday cookie would have to be my mom's "paint cookies".  Paint cookies are sugar cookies cut out into your traditional Christmas shapes and then my mom would make "magic food paint" with egg yolk and food coloring. Before baking, my sister and I would get our paint brushes and brush the color on the cookies and add some sprinkles. It's one of my fondest memories and I am happy to see that my 4 year-old niece Ava is enjoying this tradition too!

No comments:

Post a Comment