Thursday, December 22, 2011

Enchilasagna: How I turned a cooking disaster into an amazing meal.

      About 6 years ago, I was cooking for a few friends. It was Mexican night, and I was making enchiladas. I opened the oven to check on my food, and to my horror I discovered the enchiladas had unraveled spilling all their wonderful insides all over the baking dish. What do I do? I have hungry guests waiting for enchiladas!!! "Just leave it like that," my eager friend replied. I started to play around with the tortillas. I decided to layer everything quickly, and add some more cheese and enchilada sauce to make it pretty. Behold! The enchilasagna. My friends raved about it and could not believe I created something out of a dinner that was almost ruined. I love to the think out of the box when it comes to food. This is a result of doing just that to save the day. Here's how I made it tonight. You don't have to follow my recipe. Be creative! Think outside the...enchilada!

Saute a diced onion of your liking ( I usually use red).
You can throw in some diced peppers or chilies if you'd like.
Add at least 1 lb. of ground beef or turkey and cook, then drain off grease.
Return meat to pan and add 1 cup or so of taco or enchilada sauce.
You can also add salsa or fresh or canned tomatoes. Cook for 5 minutes on medium low heat.
Spread a little bit of the mixture on the bottom of a greased casserole dish.
Take several tortillas and cut them into strips and add a layer on top of meat mixture.
Add some refried beans, chipotle tobasco (optional), and shredded cheddar.
Continue this as you would a lasagna. End with taco sauce, cheese, and some smoked paprika.
I bake at 350 for 30 minutes. Bake longer for a crispier enchalasagna.
Garnish with chopped scallions and serve with a side of sour cream.
Enjoy!












1 comment: